Thursday, October 17, 2013

Noh Performance and Exhibition, Japan Foundation




Yesterday, I went to a Noh exhibition held by Japan Foundation. The exhibition was free, without any admission fee or reservation at all.  And, I chose to go yesterday (Wed) because there held Noh dance performance specially on that day. This exhibition held to commemorate the 55th year of diplomatic relations between Japan and Indonesia.

Don't worry if you don't understand what a Noh masks is, I'll explain to you. Noh masks (能面 noh-men or 面 omote) is Japanese traditional masks which used on Japanese classic musical drama. It carved from blocks of Japanese cypress or called Hinoki (檜), and all of the masks has their very own name. You can see a lot of Noh masks on this exhibition, but no touch ! I read on some news that Noh masks usually very expensive, so, yes, no touch. You can take picture tho. 

Unfortunately, I went to this wonderful exhibition alone (Yes, alone. I'll said it again, a-l-o-n-e). The dance performance held around 4 pm, and everybody seems prefer to go home around that time, Jakarta is a traffic-monster city, so yes, I went there by myself. Sad me, haha.

By the way, Noh masks displayed on this exhibition is Ogura Soei's work. Ogura Soei (84) born in Chiba, 1928 and begin to create noh mask since he was 32. Despite of his age, he continue his career on Noh mask production.


The exhibition


The performance

Everyone busy recording with their gadget (lol). Stupid me forgot to bring my camera ! I took the photos using phone's camera, and the results not really good. Indoor event, performance lighting, old phone, saaad why I don't bring my camera :'(

Anyway ! My dream to watch Noh performance came true, so next would be Kabuki performance !
Hope Japan Foundation could bring Kabuki to Jakarta (lol), or maybe I should watch it on Japan instead, someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment